Sunday, January 18, 2009

Starting the New Year

Wow, the new year already seems to be zooming by. I haven't even had a chance to write a quick note about how things are going. Since this is the first post of 2009 I just want to share some thoughts. I normally start the year of with a list of things I want to accomplish or improve for the year. Aside from spending more time with friends and family, I want to do more: running, fishing, camping, and mountain biking. I need to start playing my guitar again but first I need to buy a new tuner (it broke). Besides exercising my body I need to exercise my mind more often. I finished last year on a positive note by reading a fair amount of books. We started going to the city library which happens to have a great selection of books. I've been alternating between reading fiction books and personal growth/career development. I'm staying away from the Twilight books so please don't suggest them.

I've been contemplating registering for a full marathon (26.2 Mi.) and even doing a triathlon (I don't swim very well). I'm hoping that by sharing this it'll help motivate me to finally sign up for some events. I'm not sure if running for 4 hours appeals to me and running that large amount of time really beats up your body. As for triathlons, I can do the running and the biking but I my swimming skills are pretty rudimentary. Swimming in open water is not something that I've done and I've heard that it's common to get kicked in the face when swimming in the pack.



I think the cold bug finally got us. I was able to avoid it during the holidays but I think it's finally made it's way to our household. It's hard to avoid it when half of your coworkers are walking around coughing and sneezing all over the place. So for now I've been loading up on vitamins, drinking hot teas, and trying to get some extra sleep. I think it's really going around because I was lucky enough to get the last vitamin C bottle at Trader Joes.

5 comments:

Ben said...

Wow! Carlos, you're lookin' all slim-like. I need to start up your work out routine. Actually I wanted to comment on the public library point. This is a great treasure that I have only recently discovered. They're fantastic! Surprisingly good selections (even current titles) including free movie rentals, DIY books, etc. I love them. Hope you and Maria are well.

Carlos said...

Thanks for checking out the blog. Yeah, our taxes help to fund the libraries so we definitely need to take advantage. I've also found some good CD's there too.

Lynn said...

Public libraries are the BEST! Oh, I see Ben also likes them. Imagine that. As a family we have a TON of overdue books/movies out at any given time. So are you taking no book suggestions at all or just not the Twilight series - I can't imagine anyone recommending that to you. But I've never read them eiethr so what do I know.

Oh - and most triathletes, even some of the good ones are not good swimmers. It tends to be the weak link. Biking is where the most time can be made up. I unfortunately am a terrible biker.

Ambitious Crafter said...

I must reveal that Carlos use to dread going to the library. I grew up being part of the summer reading programs so I was very accustomed to the wonders of the library. He use to tell me -- I think I'm buy this book, my response -- why not get it from the library, you don't have to worry about storing it. He would shrug his shoulders and say "no, I rather buy that way you always have it" Well he's come a LONG WAY!

Carlos said...

Yes, I have come a long way from a few years ago. I just need to stay on track of my books. Maria had to give me $4.50 a couple of days ago to cover my late fees.
I do take book suggestions. I'll pretty much give anything a try except for romance books.