Sunday, December 21, 2008

Make Room For Santa 5K







On December 12, we participated in a local 5k run. The run was in Irvine and the course was made up of public streets and bike trails. It was a very brisk morning with bright morning sunshine. I wasn't particularly in the running spirit both because of the temperature and I had a couple of beers the night before. I ran the course in 23:44 which wasn't necessarily an outstanding time. I grabbed my complimentary sports drink and snacks and headed to the side lines to wait for Maria to finish. This event encourages runners to dress up like santas, elves, and the like. I was surprised to see a group dressed up like the manger scene (see photo). Maria ran in at 33:22 which was a great time considering she hadn't been consistenly running. Later that night I decided to check the race results--little did I know that I actually placed 3rd in my age group (30-34). The top 3 finishers in each division were awarded a pint glass with the run emblem. Maria was nice enough to pick it up for me during the week. This is the first time that I've actually won anything.

2 comments:

Erick & Norma said...

Congrats on your win! You are inspiring me to start running again, maybe that would be a good New Year's resolution for me :)

Lynn said...

When you say very brisk morning - what do you mean...low 60's?Come up north, i'll show you brisk.

Congrats on your win. The way your going soon you'll have a whole set of drinkware!